Saturday 7 August 2010

From macro to microscopic

"WOW, I want to be an astronaut!!!"

At a little over 5 ft tall I'd struggle to qualify for cabin crew, let alone bouncing around in zero gravity on behalf of NASA attempting to decipher the meaning of life.  Equally the chances of winning the lottery to fund my Virgin Galatic Space trip are less than 1 in 14,000,000.  Looks like my dreams/delusions of grandiose adventure will have to wait.

Reality hits.  Mother to an irrepressibly cheeky 5 year old, not only am I financially bereft but thinking that childcare may prove challenging at best while I'm on my leisurely jaunt to the International Space Station.  Since cosmic excursions are totally out of the question, I'll focus on my current adventures which began around January 20th 2005 at about 6.15 am.  Not only did I bring another life into the universe but began my own.   

Puffing and panting up six flights of stairs in my college building didn't seem to be the most appropriate or attractive activity for a rather large pregnant woman, but seeing that I'd signed up for an 'A' Level course in human biology (and paid), I made the most of it.  I remember revising late into the night, post-it notes in one hand and nappies in the other.  Jack had been born and here I was with an opportunity to strive for success.  I took it.

Mortar board (on head)...Check.  Gown...Check.  Camera...Check.  June 18th 2009 I graduated in Genomics (PHEW), but this journey wasn't to end. 

Now I'm back in the science saddle battling rogue recombinant proteins.  Pow, pow!  It's not quite Star Wars, although I've seen furry fungus resembling Chewbacca.  I'm privileged to be able to look at life through a different lens now and try to decipher one small piece in the enigma of our existence, while enjoying the perfection of our complexity as Jack grows up.  Both of which, I'd like to share with you...







QTDKVU3VQE2K

No comments:

Post a Comment