Wednesday 18 August 2010

Demystifying Biology?

"How's things?" 

Surrounded by the buzz of conversation and buoyed up with a dose of caffeine, I found myself explaining the intricacy of protein structure.  With nothing more than a half-eaten chicken salad sandwich and a steaming latte I carefully demonstrated the finer points of matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) structure to my lunchtime companion.  


For friends and family, comprehension of my research often requires a brief science lesson with a variety of props.  Lego, I have found, is particularly good and readily available (Jack usually has a half-constructed T. Rex to hand), sometimes a biro and napkin suffice.


Once upon a time, when asked about my day I would mutter things like "plasmid...protein purification...chromatography".  In return, I'd receive confused head-nodding and blank stares.  A few years ago I was doing the same thing, when getting to grips with university lectures.  I'd furiously take notes, hoping that when I read them later all would become clear.  When it didn't, I used my trusty Collins Biology Dictionary and a GCSE Chemistry book.  I never understood why everything had to be so complicated.  

Strolling back from lunch, past fast-paced strangers, I wondered if ever they thought about the circadian rhythms that contribute to our metabolism and insatiable hunger at noon, or the signalling pathways that detect low glucose levels and remind us its time for feeding.  


For many, their own biology is a mystery...



 QTDKVU3VQE2K

No comments:

Post a Comment